Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tackling The Treadmill

I've been running (seriously) for a few months now, have pushed myself further than I think I can possibly go, so you would THINK that I've got this running thing down...not even close! There are so many things to think about, to learn, to implement in this sport. It's funny if you think about it, that running is supposed to be the cheapest sport out there. All you need is shoes, right?

But when considering the mental cost of running, that bill can be bigger than trying to feed just half of the teams in the NFL (well, before the lockout). One of those mental costs happens to be the dreadmill. Oops, did I say that out loud? I meant the treadmill.

Treadmills and I don't get along very well. I can walk on one, but not comfortably. I have balance and stability issues, so I'm afraid of them. That fear ratchets up about 50 notches with the thought of RUNNING on them. Running? Pshhhhhhhh...please! I can barely walk on them, let alone run, yet the fact that I want to be faster, and need to start hill training for future runs, makes me have to face one of my biggest mental demons.

The treadmill. The time has come, after months of avoidance and excuses not to run on them at the Y. The treadmill. So many people despise the machine. The treadmill. It's time. I asked a trainer friend to help me tackle the treadmill today. "I can walk on the treadmill without holding on"..."ok, start walking slow, then when you feel comfortable, SLOWLY bump up the speed a little bit till you start walking a little faster...then up to a jog. HOLD ON IF YOU HAVE TO." UGH!

REALLY???

"It's mostly mental." That's what stuck in my head, because ain't THAT the truth!

My running is someone else's walk or jog. How embarrassing...ok. I can do this, and, I did it, eventually WITHOUT holding on. I kept increasing the speed until I got to 3.5mph, which is my usual running speed. YES, PATHETIC, I know, but hey, I'm slow. Don't judge. I got to 3.5mph and ran without holding on.

I tackled the treadmill today! Now, if I can jump off without killing myself off, that will be a work in progress. For now, I know I'll be able to run on the treadmill when the time comes.

Taming the beast will be another story.

Zumbarunner...Whether shaking it or running it, I'll cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment