Thursday, June 9, 2011

Motivation Part Deux

I just had the one of the BEST days today(ok, on June 8th since it's technically June 9th now), and if ever there was a time when I needed that extra kick in the bootah for my half marathon on Sunday, today was it. Allow me to explain.

Last year a friend of mine (you know who you are, and thank you again), shared a youtube video with me about a guy who lost a bunch of weight by running. His name is Ben Davis. He started running at his highest weight I think a couple years ago @ 360lbs. He and his brother just started running, doing 5k's, 10k's, hm's. Then his dad started in and they all did the Denver marathon together, and have been running together ever since. Ben is now an ironman, and is training for his second one. He has lost about 150lbs on his journey in 2 years. Talk about motivation!

Ok, so I saw this video last year, and it always kind of stuck in my brain that this guy could do this. I came across his video again a couple months or so ago, and was so inspired by his story. You all know how it is...you watch it once and think "cool, good for him", but when it comes across again after so much time, you pay more attention. It was a sign. I believe in signs.

I had the privelege of meeting Ben in Lincoln tonight. He spoke for the Lincoln Running Club, in front of about 400 people. I have to tell you, I got a bit choked up when I actually SPOKE with him, and when he showed the same video in person. I can't express how motivating this guy is, unless you hear his story FROM him.

One of the things he said is make the weightloss (or whatever you're running for) the BYPRODUCT, not the FOCUS of what you're running or exercising for. Ben said he finally figured out it wasn't about him, but about regaining a relationship with his brother and father. I am gaining new lifelong friendships, and a better sense of self. You can't beat that at all.

Ben's inspiration, along with everyone's encouragement will help push me forward 13.1 miles on Sunday. It will all be the flute section that will DEFINITELY drown out the rest of the orchestra.

http://www.bendoeslife.com/












  

No comments:

Post a Comment