Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Change of Scenery

We all need a change of scenery once in a while. It's funny how something as simple as this changes your perspective, if only for a moment.

Today, I changed my route on my street run. I don't know why, but I thought, what the hell? Now, being the very shy, "don't watch me run" person that I am, I usually stick to the neighborhood streets...except for a couple more highly driven streets on my route, or I go to the track at the Y. Today was different.

I ran past the BEAUTIFUL Victorian house on the corner with the perfectly trimmed lawn, gorgeous flowers, perfect, pristinely kept grounds, but still wondering if anyone lives there...funny. i've lived her for nearly six years and never known the answer to that question.

So as I trek through new neighborhoods, avoiding any hills, which I totally shouldn't because I HAVE to start hill training, I get to the hospital. Don't worry folks...just passing by, not checking myself in.

One of the entrancees to the hospital is on second avenue. Probably the HIGHEST traveled street here in town. Ok, time for a decision. I HATE decisions. Do I cut through the parking lot, or do I go to the main street exit and run the sidewalks down 2nd Ave? I also hate running sidewalks...they're too constricting. That would add distance, but that would also expose me to DOZENS of cars driving up and down 2nd Ave. OK, deep breath...go for distance.

So I ran down 2nd Ave for about 4 blocks, showing everyone (who probably wasn't paying attention in the first place, anyway), how slow I am, making everyone watch this terribly overweight person struggling to go the next few steps in front of me. I've finally had it. I had to turn down a side street to A...avoid the sidewalks, and B...quit making myself a spectacle to all those drivers.

Yes, a spectacle. I can't help but feel that way, but as much as I feel like that, I'm also kinda glad that I took that route. Maybe nobody WAS paying attention to me. Maybe, as I do more runs, I am becoming more comfortable with getting out there and showing the world that I can actually run, that I am a runner, and that I'm an athlete. I'll have to work on all this in my head.

Regardless, it was a good run, except for stopping 3 times for traffic, watching some stupid driver texting while holding a cigarette WHILE DRIVING...and picking up a dime on the street...oh, that's a good thing....hey, never pass up an opportunity, right?

I got in a Zumba class, and ran two miles afterwards today. That makes it a good day! I may even keep the route I ran today. Am I getting more confident?

Zumbarunner...Whether shaking it or running it, I'll cross the finish line!

PS...July race found! Thank you Shelton for offering a 5k on July 4th! Now, all's I need is one for August and I'll have a race every month until November! ROCK ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment