Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In The Land Of Uh-Oh

This week, we head to the Land of Uh-Oh, as I start week two of nursing a sore calf muscle. Yes, it's back. The tweeked rat bastard charley horse of a calf muscle made itself known again during my somewhat futile attempt to run a 5 miler today at the Y.

What started off as a simple (yet mildly painful) annoyance during last Tuesday's 5 miler turned into my taking last week off from training so it could heal. My end of the week attempt at Zumba didn't even make it feel bad, so I thought I was set.

NOT SO FAST THERE SISTA!

Today I went back to the Y to do my first 5 miler in a week. It started out fine, but within the first mile, I started noticing the muscle. Ok, nothing hurting, no problem. Within mile 2, muscle started making itself noticeable just a little more, but not hurting. I stretched a bit, walked a bit, and the noticeable muscle starting working its way across to the mid calf area. DAMN!

OK, tonight, there's a bit of pain. So here we are in the Land of Uh-Oh, because it's the week of my final long run (10 miles) on Friday before next week's 13.1 at the Lincoln Half Marathon. 

 Am I being paranoid? Am I letting the FEAR of my injury cause me NOT to finish my training leading up to Lincoln? They say if you can run 10 you can run 13.1. I already know I can run 12, because that's how much of Buffalo County Stampede I ran LAST year. This year the farthest I've run at one setting is 8 miles. CRAP!

So for now, I'm wallowing in the Land of Uh-Oh, back on the couch, and back to the food. That's a whole nother story.

The land of uh oh is NOT a place I want to be so close to the race. Last year I pushed myself from barely able to run 1 mile in January, to running 12 out of 13 miles during the Buffalo County Stampede in June. This year, I'm actually training and am sidelined the last two weeks? WAY UNCOOL, MAN!

I'm hoping this Land of Uh-Oh turns out to be just a layover, as it were. Regardless, though, I'm bound and determined to use this as a catalyst for Lincoln next Sunday.

ZUMBARUNNER SHALL PREVAIL!

In the meantime...UH-0H!

Zumbarunner...Whether shaking it or running it, I'll cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment