Saturday, April 14, 2012

Accomplishments

Today I achieved a milestone since starting my running journey. I completed the 10k course at Race For Grace in Grand Island. My performance wasn't pretty by any means, but I finished, nonetheless.

As some of you may know, I started officially running in January of 2011. It was hard, because I have never really done anything physical throughout most of my life, except starting Zumba in February 2010.

When I started running last year, I could barely run a block without having to walk MOST of the time, but I kept plugging away...SLOWLY. As I kept going, I started wondering if I could ever run any races, so, to keep me encouraged, one of my good friends told me if I found a race I wanted to do, she'd run it with me. A few days later, I found a two mile Race For Grace and took my friend up on her challenge. 

So last year's Race For Grace came. The nerves were flowing, I had to wear my walking sneeks because I didn't like my running shoes and had to return them. I was there with my friend and her friend. The scene was a whole new thing for me to drink in...ALL THOSE PEOPLE! More than 600 people signed up for last year's 2 mile and 10k. I didn't know what to expect. When the race started, my shoelaces were loose, I didn't have my music ready, it was foggy and misty,  could barely keep up with my friends, and kept apologizing to them that I wasn't keeping up or couldn't keep up the conversation.

The map showed a short loop we had to take twice to finish 2 miles. That loop is WAY longer when you run it, but I finished strong with a kick in the end to one of our Zumba songs, Proud Mary by Tina Turner. I was hooked! The feeling of the atmosphere is so great, like being on stage and getting applause. I did 13 more races throughout the 2011 season.

Last year, after the race, my girlfriend took a picture of me next to the 10k sign looking forward to next year's race.

Fast forward to next year's race, which was today. I was bound and determined to do the 10k this year. This race, after all, was where it all began for me. I am now able to run farther and go longer. Every race is different, however. You learn something new every time you put your shoes on before a race. Today I learned that NO MATTER what you struggle through to get to the end, the important thing is to FINISH! I struggled through the whole thing, yet I finished strong, with the last two songs "Champ of the World" by Nelly, and "I Know U Want" me by Pitbull...one of our Zumba classics.

I was last again today by a long margin. I didn't set a personal best time AT ALL, but in the grand scheme of things, my personal best wasn't about time. It was to pay tribute to my first race and to honor those suffering from cancer.

Today was definitely an accomplishment for me. PR or no PR...I'll take it!

Zumbarunner...whether shaking it or running it, I'll cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment