Saturday, March 17, 2012

Training Day Something...I Forget...First 2012 Race

Part of my training for Lincoln Half Marathon is increasing mileage at the end of each week. This week and the next few increases from 6 miles. What better way to do that than starting my 2012 race year with a bang...literally!

It was a "gun" start at today's inaugural Shamrock Shuffle here in K'town. The race was a fundraiser for Make A Wish foundation, in which a local teen was given his "Wish" at the end of the race.

More than 500 people joined in to either walk or run a joint 5k or 10k race. It's March. It's SUPPOSED to be WINTER! Kearney is in the middle of the country, NOT tropical like say Florida. We're actually SUPPOSED to have four seasons. Today the highs were in the 80's and sustained winds at about 25mph. That's a little warmish, even for the "seasoned" runners.

I did the 10k, and let me tell you, I was totally jello by the end of the race. Take the above mentioned weather conditions, throw in REPETITIVE HILL KILLERS (UGH), about half the course, and you've got yourself some jello legs. I finished the race, grateful for the opportunity, and ready to move on to my next 10k in two weeks.

Overall, it was a great day! I finished the race, I found what I have to change in my training plans, and we all helped a great organization help another youth see his dreams come true. Thanks to YMCA and New West for making this happen!

Zumbarunner...Whether shaking it or running it, I'll cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment